Tuesday, January 8, 2008

NH Primary Day

I probably shouldn't let the day go by without some mention of the First in the Nation Primary. It was a big part of my life for many years. Working at WMUR-TV in Manchester, NH during several of these primaries was definitely a highlight of my career. I lost count of all of the candidates that I got to meet and had pictures taken with. All of the news organizations that diverged on our small station was insane. Even if you didn't care about politics in the least bit, being part of this event was always an amazing time. It was all politics, all the time. All eyes were on NH. I've been enjoying seeing my old stomping grounds on every channel for the past few days. I dare say I kind of miss the excitement.

Bill Clinton coming out of the bathroom with toilet paper stuck to the bottom of his foot wasn't something you saw everyday, but it happened in '92. He practically lived at the station during the month of February of '92. Steve Forbes was there in '92. Remember Paul Tsongas? I do. I believe he won the Democratic side of the Primary in '92. Not Clinton. But Clinton was dubbed the "Comeback Kid" because of us. Tom Griffith our news anchor became famous because he dared ask Bill Clinton if he did indeed have an affair with Gennifer Flowers. (Tom then became part of the movie "Primary Colors" starring John Travolta!) In '00, GW and his entourage breezed through the newsroom more than once. As did Al Gore and his people. John McCain won the primary in '00, but not the election. So did Al Gore.

I wonder what excitement passed through the doors of WMUR this time around...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree...it was stressful and frantic but very cool at the same time. I'll have memories of chasing after Elizabeth Dole because she left her purse behind (again) and Al Gore's rotten make up job and Dan Quayle as one of the biggest jack@sses I have ever met in my life.

miftik said...

I wonder how many Ron Paul fanatics are outside their doors. I'll always remember Steve Forbes ass on my desk (while I was sitting at it), cute sec. service guy and John McCain's sunburned scalp.

I try to forget the rest.

Anonymous said...

Working at WMUR during the primary season was unbelievable especially for a political junkie like me. The primary is the main reason I took the job. So many memories, it was really cool to be in the center of the action while the national media buzzed around, to meet candidates up close and person and to work with the secret services. Fondest memories have the NH State Police kick Bush's Texas Rangers out of the building, having the crew yell at then Gov Bush who thought he could call the shots, of Karen Anderson yelling out Dan Quayle, being alone in a room with Pat Robertson announcing to a friend on his cell phone that he was running even thought he had announced, seeing Al Gore shake the hand of the entire crew and walking outside of the station and seeing sharp shooters on all of the roof tops. So many cool memories and I am so happy I was there with a group of great people who are still my friends.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot about the sharp shooters! Good call Sarah!

Beth in NEPA said...

I was thinking about all this last night as I watched WMUR coverage on C-SPAN. I think I recognized the male anchor but don't remember his name. You were lucky to be a part of it all.
At the tv station I worked for in Maine we didn't get many Presidential hopefuls but often saw Olympia Snowe, George Mitchell and Bill Cohen come by for a visit.
Oh yeah..... our most famous visitor.... not really political... Stephen King. He did host lots of political events for visiting candidates of the D persuasion.