Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A day in the life of me.

I've come to the realization that my life is kind of boring. I'm sure that anyone who reads my blog has also come to that realization. And I thank you all for returning to read about my boring life!

One of the most exciting things that happened to me today was getting to listen to the Johnny Cash CD that I borrowed from the library. Another thing I did was drink the coffee from the break room at work. That can probably be considered more dangerous than exciting, it's pretty gross coffee.

However, later my day got very exciting. One of the producers of our morning show brought a book over for me to scan for tomorrow's show. This is a typical request and often I thumb through the books to see what they're all about. They can be anything from cookbooks, to do-it-yourself books, to parenting books. Today it was a biography. And an unauthorized one at that! It was the new "Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography" by Andrew Morton. (He wrote a Diana book too.) I'm not a huge Tom Cruise fan, in fact, I don't care for him much at all. I've seen a lot of his movies, but have never really gone to one just because he was the star. But I'm a sucker for a biography. Especially one like this.




I got the book around 4:00, did my scanning and finished up the graphics for tomorrow's show. Then I started thumbing through the book. I started with the pictures of course, then I dove right in to the last chapter. I mean, I know how it ends, so it's not like it's really cheating. So I read the final chapter. Then I wanted more. I went back to the beginning and started reading the whole thing. It was crazy. Tom Cruise is total jerk. I knew I didn't like him for some reason. This was a whole side of him that we really don't see or know much about. The book really told a great deal about his life with Scientology and how he tries to recruit friends and family to his religion. He's apparently best friends with the leader of the church, David Miscavige, who even went on the honeymoon with Tom & Katie. It was quite a telling book, how much of it is true, I don't know. I tended to believe most of it though.

So that was my day in a nutshell. Other than work in the midst of all that excitement, that was pretty much it. I went home, made a tasty cheddar broccoli soup for dinner and watched tv. There was nothing terribly exciting on, so I watched with much hesitation, the Season Premiere of American Idol. I think I need a hobby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It beat the heck out of my day!

elle m kay said...

The author was on the Today show this morning and I guess this book is quite controversial. However, the author says it's a "fair and balanced" account of TC and his involvement in scientology... but I guess it's not officially verified by Mr. Cruise himself so some people aren't taking it seriously.

They also asked what the significance was of the cover... they wondered if it was implying that TC was two-faced. The author's response was just that he didn't design it and it wasn't his favorite... but it grew on him because Tom's eyes and smile are things that he's kind of known for. Lame. I wanted hear the juice, but got nothing from this interview. I hope your show digs in a little deeper!

Anonymous said...

Sadly, Amanda, your life tends to be a lot more interesting than mine. I worked, went to WW, and watched TV.

What I appreciate about your blog the most is that you update it almost daily. It gives me a hobby! ;)