Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Brand Names vs Store Brands

We've been having a bit of a debate/discussion today regarding store brands vs. name brands. I'm interested in what others think. I am all about saving money, so I'm very good about buying the store brands. (Wegmans brand, that is.) Although, there are a few items that I will only buy name brand.

Here's my list of must-have name brands:
Bounty paper towels
Bounce dryer sheets
Pepsi

I think that's it. Everything else I can go with store brands or whatever is on sale. I think that store brands have really come a long way in their qualilty. I don't think I have lowered my standards at all. I do like to save money, but if it doesn't taste good or doesn't work well, then I wouldn't buy it. Tell me what you think! What's good, what's bad? What is on your must-have name brand list?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name brands are Bounty Paper Towels (Basic...not regular) Hood Cottage Cheese, Kraft Mac and Tide. I think everything else is store brand. I even prefer the Hannaford brand American cheese. It's my favorite!

rb said...

i'm horrible at saving money. i buy probably 90% name brand.. in fact, i can not really think of "store brand" that i buy. the only thing that comes to mind is i used to LOOOVE stop and shops lite seeded rye bread. that's all i can think of.

miftik said...

I actually prefer some of the store brand items. That being said, I have to have Russell Stover brand sugar free chocolate covered coconut. Mmmmmm coconut. I usually buy Charmin TP. And I'm with Amy on the Kraft Mac and Cheese. There is something about their cheese mix that hasn't been replicated correctly by the stores.

Beth in NEPA said...

Must haves:
Coke Zero Cherry
Bounty paper towels
Boca Java coffee
Quilted Northern Tissues

I was told a number of years ago, that the "store brands" canned goods were canned at the same place that name brands are. They just change labels sometimes. The reason they can sell for cheaper is because of "advertising." At least that is what I have been told.
As to other things, I sometimes prefer name brands. I prefer Pillsbury refrigated items over store brand. They don't "seem" as good. I do try to save money on many things so I can splurge on other items without feeling guilty.

Anonymous said...

My fabulous financial situation has me comparing "store brand" prices.....Target cereal is cheaper than Wegmans.......tastes the same.....sort of.