Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Consequences.

I love this story. It is a teeny bit reminiscent of my upbringing. Not quite to the same extent, but I too had my first car taken away from me. It was only taken away for a year however. I'm not sure exactly what I did now, but I'm pretty sure it was bad and I'm more than sure that I never did it again! (I think it might have had something to do with that certain delinquent that I dated for awhile... and I'm sure my mom will refresh my memory!) Anyway, my point here is that kids need consequences for their actions. I wish there were more parents like this out there. I am all about being a good parent and loving our children, but when there are rules set in place and then the rules are in turn knowingly broken, then punishments must be given. No exceptions.

That's all. It's simple really. Sure our kids will "hate" us for awhile, but you know what, they really don't "hate" us, they "hate" that they got caught and they "hate" that they screwed up. (Mostly they hate that they got caught.) But they still love us. And 20 years later, they will thank you for teaching them about responsibility, no matter how much they didn't like it at the time. (Thanks, Mom & Dad!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like when I feel guilty for calling in sick. Thanks Mom & Dad for instilling work ethic...but sometimes I just need a blow off day!

Beth in NEPA said...

I don't remember all the details but your father said it had to do with driving out in REALLY BAD weather to see "someone." Your learned your lesson on that one.

I seem to remember another "consequence" regarding going to see friends in FLA.

We were "mean" parents but our kids turned out great.

Consequences are VERY important. And so is consistency. If you say it you must mean it. So don't throw out "idle" threats.

Glad your turned out so well!! We are proud of you!!!!!

Amanda said...

Hmmm... I think the car incident in question might have involved me hitting a guard rail due to the bad weather and said delinquent hitting his head on the windshield (because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt) thus requiring a new windshield? Was that it??

The FL trip cancellation was due to bad grades. Sigh. The grades were brought up the following year and a trip to FL was returned!