Friday, February 8, 2008

How to Collect a Urine Sample from a Dog

I never thought in a million years this would ever be a concern for me. But the day has arrived. I need to somehow retrieve a clean urine sample from my dog. I noticed yesterday that she had some blood in her pee. (Thankfully there is snow on the ground, otherwise this would have gone undetected!) I called the vet today to make an appointment and they requested that I bring in a sample of her urine.

Now that certainly is easier than it sounds! Especially if you have a dog like mine. She's very skiddish. The moment I so much as bend down for the collection process, she will jump away. I have been looking online for help.

Here's what ehow.com suggests:

"Wait for the right moment and spring into action. If you have a female dog, consider standing behind her, out of view, and sliding a saucer under her as she squats."

Ha ha ha! Yeah. That's gonna happen.

Here's what another website suggests, complete with illustration:


"Try using an aluminum pie pan attached to a broomstick handle. Simply place the pan in the urine flow..."

Simple. Right! Well, wish me luck everyone! And if you have any advice, please feel free to share. I sure hope the vet has other ideas when I show up on Monday empty-handed...

No comments: