Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Holiday Concerts and Snow Tunnels


Alex's "Holiday" Choral Concert was this evening. It was a lot like all of the other choral/band type concerts we have attended in his 7 years of schooling. There was one thing that struck me as odd though. I noticed this last year as well, but this year it seemed even more obvious. The "Holiday" concerts now seem to be a generic tribute to the holiday season. No longer are our children allowed to sing traditional Christmas Carols. In fact, there was a well known Christmas carol that they had changed to say "Have yourself a merry little holiday..." Huh? What has happened to our culture? I love that we embrace all of the holidays (last year they sang Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel and a Kwanzaa song) but nobody is allowed to even whisper the word Christmas anymore for fear of offending someone. I don't understand how or why that happened. Why can't we embrace everybody and still be able to celebrate Christmas? Why can't our children sing a Christmas carol or two at the Holiday concert?? It is afterall still a holiday.


In other news, it finally stopped snowing today. We are up to 52.2" of snow for the winter... err... season. (Winter hasn't even officially started yet!) Our seasonal average is 112". We're almost half way there. Or are we? Jan-Feb are typically the big snowfall months. I hate to think of how much more we're going to get before it's over! I am SOO thankful to my parents for giving me that snowblower. The picture above is of our backyard. Jenny is in there somewhere, in the tunnels she created. She loves to plow through them. I think she is the blur near the middle.

3 comments:

Beth in NEPA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth in NEPA said...

I guess majority no longer rules in our country. The majority of people in our country, A huge majority, celebrate Christmas.... even those who don't profess to be Christian. So this is all NONSENSE that you can't even say the word.......

I hope eventually someone will come to their senses. It helps when folks like you bring up the problem.

December 19, 2007 5:36 AM

Anonymous said...

I would not be offended if someone wished me a Happy Kwaanza. I don't think others should be offended if I say Merry Christmas.