Saturday, May 3, 2008

Paw Sox

Boy, I've been busy lately, not blogging as much. Sorry! Today Alex and I went to a Pawtucket Red Sox game. They were in Syracuse playing the Chiefs. As usual, there were more Sox fans than Chiefs fans. Which is a sad thing when you think about it. The Chiefs are the home team. The city and the ball club could really use some better marketing to get more of the community involved, but it just seems like they don't care. Which is a shame. It's a great ballpark and a great family oriented event. We do go to several Chiefs games when the Paw Sox aren't in town and cheer on the home team, but we're Sox fans at heart. So when they're in town, we cheer for them.


We usually get great seats for these games. My company has season tickets and sometimes we are able to use them, which was the case today. The seats are behind home plate, 3 rows back. Here's the view:


At one point, I looked behind us and saw who I thought to be Kyle Snyder sitting a few rows behind us. He's a pitcher for the Red Sox. The Pawtucket Red Sox. Last year he was with Boston, but was recently "re-assigned" to the PawSox. He was with Boston last year when they won the World Series.

Anyway, I did a double take. It had to have been him. Although I have no idea why he would be sitting in the stands and not the dug-out. I knew he pitched last night so he probably wouldn't be pitching today. I looked again and noticed he had a clipboard and a radar gun and was jotting down notes. I don't think I've ever seen a player work that side of things. At one point, it started raining a little bit, so we moved to the section behind us that had a cover. Kyle did the same thing. So we ended up sitting in the same row with him. I really tried not to let on that we knew who he was. He seemed to be enjoying the anonymity. I really wanted Alex to get his autograph for his glove, but it was probably best that he was too shy. If we had let on who he was, he probably would have been annoyed because other people would have been bothering him too. So we left him alone, but I did sneak in a photo, of course. (Below)



This photo (below) was taken before the game. Madera (42) was high-fiving his team-mate because they just announced he was the "K-man". The "K-man" is the guy the Chiefs pick to strike out... and if he does, then the crowd gets a taco from Taco Bell. As much as we wanted him to do well, we cheered for the Taco. Which we will be able to get, because he struck out.




It was a fun game. It didn't rain too much, so we went back down to lower seats. Oh and the Chiefs won the game 8-5. Oh well!

No comments: